Frequently Asked Questions


What is unclaimed property?

Unclaimed property consists of tangible and intangible property that has been abandoned, such as:

  • Bank accounts
  • Wages
  • Refunds
  • Utility deposits
  • Insurance proceeds
  • Stocks
  • Bonds
  • Safe deposit boxes
  • And others
Is the State of Alaska holding money for my family or me?

Conduct your free search at Search for yourself, family, friends, business, and/or employer – it’s free!

If you see your name, and can verify the address as your current or former address, file a claim online through Documentation will be required for proof of ownership.

Only the owner, heir, or court appointed representative can file a claim for unclaimed property. If you are not sure if the property belongs to you, write down the property sequence number (psn) and email us at

The Unclaimed Property Office responds to inquiries as quickly as possible. Please allow several days for our office to respond to your email or telephone call.

If I find property I believe to be mine, what is the best way to file a claim?

The state of Alaska offers an electronic method to submit a claim. Please click here to go to the web service and conduct you own search and file your claim today.

How does the State protect my personal information? Is your site secure?

The State of Alaska has implemented numerous security protocols to protect your information, please review our privacy policy for more detail.

How fast will my claim be paid?

The answer depends on a variety of factors which include the number of properties involved, the property type and amount, as well as facts about the claimant and the state’s ability to validate and document the information provided in a claim. There are instances when claimants submit false claims because they have a similar name or a relative with a similar name. The State is required to establish and document facts that the claimant is entitled to the property.

The State of Alaska takes ownership determinations seriously and works diligently to protect unclaimed assets from fraudulent claims . We process claims as quickly as possible, however a backlog of pending claims does exist.

The Unclaimed Property team is very small, so your patience is appreciated. We thank you for allowing our office several weeks to review your claim. You can improve your claim’s processing time by responding quickly to our request for additional information or documentation. We will only request additional information where it is deemed necessary. Protecting your assets from fraudulent claims is critically important. Thank you.

Can I check the current status of my eclaim?

Yes, when you submit an eclaim, your claim is assigned a unique reference number that you can use to check the status of your claim at any time. The unique reference number and status link are identified in your confirmation email and must be used to check your eclaim status.

If I have submitted a traditional claim not using the eclaims system can I check the status of that claim in eclaims?

No, claims submitted using the prior manual claim method (submitted before 7/29/2019) are not integrated with the new eclaims system, you must contact us via email for status information

I cannot connect to Alaska’s online claim site, what do I do?

Occasional outages may occur due to planned maintenance windows and/or unforeseen circumstances. Please revisit the site after an hour and the outage should be resolved. If there seems to be an extended outage or if an outage occurs during business hours please email the Treasury Webmaster.

How much time do I have to provide required evidence or documentation needed to support my claim?

If additional documentation is required to support payment of a claim we will request it in an email or letter. You will have 90 days to respond to our request. Any claim where a claimant has not responded to requests for documentation within the 90-day period will be dropped from our claim tracking system.




Who is a "Holder" or unclaimed property?

Any business entity in possession of unclaimed property is a potential holder; banks, insurance companies, utilities, corporations, partnerships, LLCs, sole-proprietorships, government agencies, not-for-profit organizations, estates and trusts, universities, etc.

When is property considered abandoned or unclaimed?

By law, the property is considered abandoned or unclaimed when there is no documented transaction or contact between the owner and holder for a period, known as a dormancy period.

What are the dormancy periods and holder responsibilities?

A dormancy period can be between 1 and 15 years, depending on the property type. If the holder is in possession of unclaimed property over $100.00, they are required to perform “due diligence”, a last attempt to locate the rightful property owner(s).

If the holder is unsuccessful in locating the owners, the holder is required to remit the property, along with a report, to the Alaska Department of Revenue.

The following are the abandonment periods for property commonly reported under the unclaimed property program:

  • Safe deposit box contents: 1 year
  • Utility deposits: 1 year
  • Wages: 1 year
  • Life insurance proceeds: 3 years
  • Customer overpayments: 3 years
  • Saving/checking accounts: 5 years
  • Stocks and bonds: 5 years
  • Traveler's checks: 15 years

This is a partial list of properties; please reference the reporting unclaimed property webpage for additional details.

As a holder of unclaimed property, when am I required to file reports?

Holders are required to report and remit unclaimed property before November 1 each year. The report should contain items that are unclaimed as of June 30 of each year.

DO NOT SEND zero or negative reports.

What is the holder reporting process?
  1. Is your business holding unclaimed property?

    Businesses, organizations, and any other entities in possession of unclaimed property are considered a “Holder”. Common types of unclaimed property include savings/checking accounts, uncashed checks e.g. payroll, utility deposits, refunds, stocks, bonds, mutual funds, and safe deposit box contents.

  2. Determine if the property has been inactive or dormant for the appropriate dormancy period.

    The type of property reported will determine how long property must remain abandoned to be considered unclaimed property. Dormancy periods range from one to fifteen years.

  3. Due Diligence

    Alaska law requires holders to make a diligent effort to locate owners with property of $100 or more. The holder must send a written notice to the apparent owner at the owner’s last known address informing the owner that the holder is in possession of property subject to escheat to the State of Alaska. HRS Pro free software provides an easy due diligence component.

  4. Prepare Report

    Holders must report unclaimed property for owners with a last known address in Alaska if the money order, cashier check or traveler check was purchased in the Alaska.

    Please report electronically. We suggest using HRS Pro, which is simple and easy to use. You can import an Excel spreadsheet or manually enter your report detail. HRS Pro is free to use if you are reporting 200 or less properties. Please click this link to find out more:

  5. File Report Before November 1

    Completed reports are due before November 1. Reports without remittance or appropriate forms will be deemed incomplete and returned to the Holder.

    DO NOT SEND: Zero or negative reports.

Report Submissions: Email holder reports to

Remittances: Wire or ACH transmission are the most secure way to send your remittance electronically. Email to obtain a copy of our banking instructions. If you must send a check, make it payable to Alaska Department of Revenue, Unclaimed Property Program.

Security Remittances: E.g. dividend reinvestment plans, mutual funds, book entry shares, and stock must include a confirmation of transfer or a statement indicating the transfer.

Interest-Bearing Accounts: Must be clearly identified with a Y in the Interest column of the report; otherwise, leave the field blank.

Can I get an extension on the due date of my report?

Yes. Email your request to us at stating why you need the extension and how long of an extension you need.

Once I report property for an owner, what about any future amounts that might accrue for them?

Ongoing payments of such things as dividends, stock or mineral royalties are automatically reportable once the first payment is eligible. In other words, once the first dividend or royalty payment is reported, you do not wait another 5 years to report the next payment.

Can I report and deliver property early (before the prescribed dormancy period has elapsed)?

Yes, with prior approval. Please email us at and wait for a formal response.

I am reporting for the first time, what period should my first report cover?

Property that would have been presumed abandoned from September 7, 1980 forward.

The Department realizes time restraints may make it difficult to prepare reports back to 1980. We ask holders of unclaimed property to file for as far back as their records permit. First time filers should try to cover at least the last ten years. As a matter of reference, an audit can cover all property back to 1980. Random sampling techniques are often used to create reports where hard copy records are no longer available.

It is important to start reporting on a regular basis. You may want to address prior year records in a separate process.

Do I still have to complete a report if my records are incomplete?

Yes. You should report and remit such amounts as may be reasonably estimated from available records.