About Unclaimed Property

Alaska's Unclaimed Property Act (AS 34.45) requires businesses (profit and non-profit) and governmental agencies to file unclaimed property reports with the Department of Revenue. Negative or zero reports are not required in Alaska. More about Alaska Statute 34.45.110-780

Unclaimed property is any intangible amount owed or held by an organization that remains unpaid, uncashed or has no evidence of positive owner activity for an extended period of time. Most property is considered abandoned after three years. More about property dormancy periods

The State of Alaska does not charge for the return of unclaimed property. It is very easy to search for unclaimed property for yourself, family, and friends.

If you have been contacted by a fee finder, try to locate your property on your own before signing a contract. A fee finder service is not needed to claim your property.

The State of Alaska also holds unclaimed property for profit and non-profit organizations such as retail stores, churches, local governments, communities, associations, clubs, restaurants, financial institutions, etc.

Unclaimed property includes:

  • Bank accounts
  • Uncashed checks such as payroll, insurance payments or travelers checks;
  • Utility and/or phone company deposits
  • Safe deposit box contents
  • Insurance proceeds
  • Stocks, bonds and mutual funds
  • Gift Certificates and Gift Cards

Abandoned property is turned over to the Department of Revenue from many sources including banks, credit unions, corporations, utilities, insurance companies, governmental entities and retailers throughout the United States.

Unclaimed property does not include overpaid contributions by employers to the unemployment compensation fund, real estate, vehicles or most tangible property. Contents of a safe deposit box is the only tangible property that is reportable.

  1. Search the only legitimate free website for unclaimed property is www.missingmoney.com (You are at the wrong website if you are asked to pay a fee to search for unclaimed property.)
  2. You should contact unclaimed property offices in the states where you have lived.
  3. Email our office at:
  4. Review old tax records, and personal files for accounts you may forgotten about.
  5. Stocks, mutual funds, and other long-term investments are often reported as unclaimed property.

To find out if you or your business has unclaimed property go to missingmoney.com and type your business name in the last name field.

The National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrators' (NAUPA) website contains information about each state's unclaimed property laws as well as a listing of states that have searchable databases.